Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Will of David Jennings - 18190707

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT
OF
DAVID JENNINGS
Menallen Township, Fayette Co., PA
7 Jul 1819

In the name of God Amen. I David Jennings of the township of Menallen in the County of Fayette and State of Pennsylvania being in weakness of body but of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding, thanks be given to God Therefor, do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner and form following, that is to say after the payment of all my just debts and the charges of my funeral which is to be directed and conducted at the discretion of my Executors here after mentioned, I devise and bequeath as followeth.

Item I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Katherine Jennings the one third of all my personal estate and the one third of all my rents and profits of my real estate to be paid to her annually during her life. Likewise all the household and kitchen furniture that she brought with her when we were married.

Item I devise and bequeath unto my son Benjamin Jennings one hundred and fifty seven acres of land and the allowance as followeth. Beginning at two white oaks on the line of Jasper Yarnall thence south thirteen degrees west nineteen perches and six tenths to a post thence sixty three degrees east sixteen perches and two tenths to a jack oak thence south forty degrees west seventy perches and three tenths to a jack oak thence north eighty degrees and one quarter west one hundred and seven perches and eight links to a Spanish oak in the line of John Brown. Thence by the land of Hugh Lovesing North twenty nine degree west two hundred and fifty perches to a hickory in the line of Robert Boyds land thence north twenty three and one half degrees east thirty eight perches and seven links to a corner of a piece of land that I gave to my son David Jennings thence by the James south fifty five degrees east one hundred and twenty four perches and ten links to a post thence north forty degrees and - east sixteen perches to a post thence south fifty five degrees and one quarter east one hundred and twenty six perches.

I further bequeath unto my son Benjamin Jennings all my sawmills plantations where on Joshua Down now lives with the appurtenances thereto belonging containing the dam with the privilege of raising, for the benefit of sawing, six inches higher than what it is now.

Item I give and bequeath unto my son David Jennings one hundred and fifty seven acres of land and the allowance, Beginning at stones in the line of Robert Boyd and a corner of land I have bequeathed to my son Benjamin thence north - seventy three degrees east one hundred and eighty nine perches and seven tenth to stones in the line of my sawmill place thence by the James south sixty seven degrees east one hundred and eight perches to a white oak in the line of James Ebert and thence by the James and Joshua Woodwards land south twenty six degrees west one hundred and twenty perches and five tenths to a Jack oak and thence south eighty five degrees west eight perches to a post thence south for thirteen degrees west thirty nine perches and four links to a post and two white oaks a corner of the land that I gave my son Benjamin thence by a division line through my farm agreeably to a late survey to the place of the beginning.

I give and bequeath unto my daughter Sarah Cooper the sum of one hundred dollars. I give and bequeath unto my daughter Frances Brooks the sum of fifty dollars. I give and bequeath unto my daughter Mehetable Cooper the sum of fifty dollars. I give and bequeath unto my grandson Henry Jennings, son of my son, Jonathan Jennings the sum of fifty dollars. To my daughter Mary McCracken and Rebecca Woodson I make no bequest in consequence of what I have given them heretofore.

The above legacies to be paid at the end of one year after my decease. My will further is that if my final estate shall amount to more than will pay the above legacies that the overplus be equally divided between the above named legatees. And lastly I do hereby nominate constitute and appoint my two sons Benjamin and David Jennings executors of this my last will and testament. Revoking and annulling all wills heretofore made testifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament. In testimony whereof I have here unto set my hand and affixed my seal this seventh day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and nineteen.

Signed sealed published and declared to the said David Jennings to be his last will and testament in the presence of us who have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses in the presence of the testator.

Daniel Johnson (signed) David Jennens
James Ebert

Footnote:

All of David's children are mentioned in his will with the exception of his daughter Margaret,

David died on March 29, 1824 and his will was brought for probate, in April of 1824.

David also mentions his grandson, who was the son of his son Jonathan. Jonathan, according to the best available records died around 1814.

Note should be made of the fact that David mentions "thence by the James (River) and Joshua Woodwards land". Elizabeth Woodward, a daughter of Joshua Woodward, in 1828, marries Enoch Jennings, David's grandson.

We do know that Mary (Henthorn), David's first wife died in April of 1815; no record has ever been found to indicate who "my beloved wife Katherine Jennings", might have been before her marriage to David. Indications are however that she could have been a widow as he mentions-that she is to have "all the household and kitchen furniture that she brought with her when we were married"...)

*****
Email: Dick.Henthorn@gmail.com
Posted: 22 Sep 2009
File: 18190707.txt

No comments: