Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Will of Adam Henthorn - 18670205

Will of
Adam Henthorn
Monroe Co., OH
5 Feb 1867

This last Will and Testament of Adam Henthorn of the town of Baresville, Monroe County and State of Ohio.

In the name of god I Adam Henthorn considering the uncertainty of this mortal life and now being of sound mind and memory. I, Adam Henthorn do make and publish this my last Will and Testament in manner and form as follows:

Item 1st to wit; All my just depts doctor bills, funeral expenses to be paid out of any money that may be under my control, at the time of my death or as soon as it may be convenient by my legal agent or my wife Susanna should she be then living or the person that my wife may appoint to attend to her businefs with the same power that she has.

Item 2nd I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Susanna Henthorn, all my estate, real, personal or mixed, with that of any money that may be at my control, at the time of my death, also all notes, books and book accounts, she be for the use and support of her my said wife Susanna, during her natural life, with full power to collect debts pay out money, as she may think proper for her support or she may appoint an agent to do her businefs for her.

Item 3rd It is my will all my estate to remain in the hands of my sife, should she live longer than myself, without any appraisement of property, or administration on my estate.

Item 4th I give and bequeath the one third of all my estate real, personal and mixed with that of any money that may be at my control at my death with full power to dispose of it as she may think proper after both of our deaths our personal property she may sell at any time after my death our real estate to be sold, within one year after both of our deaths, at private sale, if the estate is sold on payments, the money so collected may be paid out to the heirs as it is collected, both of my heirs, and that of my wife's that are named in our last Wills.

Item 5th I give and bequeath unto my daughter Ellener Morgan two hundred dollars out of my two thirds

Item 6th The balance of my two thirds of the whole estate that we may die possessed of, is to be divided as follows, I give and bequeath, Nephew John J. Henthorn, Martha his daughter, Charles and Washington his two youngest sons, to them to have the one third of my two thirds, it to be equally divided between them four here mentioned. I give and bequeath unto my Nephew Nimrod Henthorn the one third of my two thirds of the estate that we may be possessed of, also I give and bequeath unto Cassie Ann Wife of Adam Henthorn the same amount that is given to Nimrod for the use and support of her family's comfort and support, the same, any of our friends that may desire to be put in the vault with us if there are room may do so.

In testimony thereof I do revoke all former Wills by me made. In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and seal this fifth day of February in the year of our Lord 1867.

I do appoint Samuel Hofer and M. Mason to settle up our estate after we are both dead, with full power to sell and make good deeds for any of our real estate that we may be possessed of at both our deaths, with full power to collect any of the debts thas [sic] has or may accrue, with the same power that I would of had if still living, all the interliving was before signing.
Adam Henthorn {seal}
Signed and acknowledged in presence of: J.A. Boice, N.E.Henthorn
The State of Ohio, Monroe County, SS:
I certify the foregoing to be a true copy of Adam Henthorn's Will admitted to probate in the Probate Court of said County April 29th 1867
{seal} Witnefs my signature and official at Woodsfield, April 30th 1867
W.T Sinclair, Probate Judge.

Probate Court, Monroe County, Ohio, Woodsfield April 7th 1870.
Application to admit copy of Will to record.
This day came into Court Samuel Hofer and produced an instrument of writing purporting to be a copy of the last Will and Testament of Adam Henthorn, late of Monroe County, Ohio, deceased, and the Court being satisfied that said Will had been duly admitted to probate in the Probate Court of said County, and that the original Will with the record thereof, had been destroyed by fire in the burning of the office of this Court with its contents on the 13th day of June 1867. It is therefore ordered by the Court that the copy of said Will be filed and admitted to record in this Court and recorded therein, and notice of such record be published in the Spirit of Democracy for three months, as required by law.
Attest: W.T. Sinclair, Probate Judge
(Source: Will Book 1, page 104-105, Monroe Co., OH)

[Note: Much has been written about the wills of Adam and Susana Henthorn which isn't backed by the facts. Photo copies of pages 104 and 105 of Will Book 1, Monroe Co., OH were obtained by Mr. Gordon Paul and shared with REH. The will of Susana is included in its entirety above, having been typed from the cursive copy by REH. There seems to be no doubt that the wife of Adam was Susana Risher, the sister of John Risher and Catharine (Risher) Barten. REH]

******
Email: Dick.Henthorn@gmail.com
Posted: 22 Sep 2009
File: 18670205.txt

No comments: