Charles D. McBratney
ADOPTION: As an infant he was adopted by Thomas and Margaret McBratney.
CHURCH_AFFILIATION: As a youth he joined the Methodist Church at Camp Point, IL
ORGANIZATIONS: Knights of Pythias Lodge of Milton, [IA]
OBITUARY: Charles D. McBratney
Wednesday morning, Aug. 5, 1942 occurred the death a man who has been for many years active in the affairs of Milton [IA].
Born in Clayton, Ill., June 30, 1871, Charles McBratney was 71 years, 1 month and 5 days old at the time of his passing. While still an infant, he was adopted by Thomas and Margaret McBratney, who reared him as their own son.
In 1895 he came to Iowa and worked as a carpenter until 1900 when he served for two years as janitor of the schoolhouse. In 1900 he began working for the Rice-Roland Hardware firm. After C. E. Rowland moved to California, he continued to work for the new firm of Rice until 1912 when he started a long period of service as custodian of the Milton public school. His 16 years of association with the youth and teachers of the community made "Charley" familiar to all. He cheered the culprits who were being punished, repaired torn clothing, tacked on heels and soles and was an enthusiastic router at all competitive and practice games. The teachers soon learned that "Charley" was their friend and they, too, took the trouble to him.
The first World War caused a shortage of manual training teachers and "Charley" had a new office conferred upon him. From 1916 to 1919, he was custodian, manual training teacher, and secretary of the school board. He also had three buildings instead of one to keep in order.
When the new building was completed in 1928, "Charley" retired to operate the Standard Oil station and to follow the trade of shoe repairer. The students now all had a new loafing place "Charley" station. Later, he moved his shoe repair shop to the old electric shop and served his old friends there. In all these years, he told so many lies that he erected his own monument. Memory of him will remain long in the community and with those who have gone elsewhere.
He was married March 31, 1897, to Bertha Henthorn. Two children blessed his home, Mrs. Cecil Deal of Ottumwa, and Paul of Milton.
While still youth, he joined the Methodist Church at Camp Point, Ill. He was a member of the K. P. Lodge of Milton.
He leaves to mourn his passing, his widow, his two children, and a foster sister, Dr. Rosemary A. Ziegler, of Pasadena, Calif., seven grandchildren and two great grandchildren. His foster parents and one foster sister, Mrs. G. A. Underwood, preceded him in death. He is gone but his memory is still with us.
Funeral services were held Thursday at 2 p.m. at the Milton Methodist Church in charge of the pastor, the Rev. J.C. Behrens. Internment was in Sunnyside cemetery at Milton.
(Source: Record Republican August 13, 1942, [location unknown] - posted to the Internet by Rich Lowe)